This quick guide describes adding a bonus item to a weighted category where the weights of the grade items are distributed evenly. With this scenario, there are a number of settings that must be set correctly. If the settings are correct, the bonus item can skew the Final Calculated Grade.
The information in this guide was adopted from "Demystifying Final Calculated Grade" which is attached to the bottom of this guide as a PD
Bonus Points Information:
There are two contributing factors that affect the total possible extra points that get added to the student’s final grade.
- The first one is the weight you assign to the bonus item.
- The second one is the overall weight of the category where the bonus item resides.
Step-by-Step Part 1: Add a Bonus Item to a Category
- Click on Grades on the Navbar
- Click on New
- Click on Item
- Click on Numeric
- Enter a Name for the Grade Item
- Click on the drop-down under Category
- Click on the Category where you would like the bonus item
- Enter the Maximum Points
- Enter the Weight Value for the Bonus Item
- Check the Can Exceed Box
- Check the Bonus Box
- Click on Save and Close (You will see a star next to the item, indicating it is a bonus item )
- Assigning extra credit or bonus items can make the Final Grade for some go above 100%. Therefore, part 2 is mandatory to also complete.
Step-by-Step Part 2: Check Can Exceed
- Check the box next to the Category Title that the bonus item is located
- Check the box next to Current Overall Grade
- Check the box next to Grade to Submit to MySPC
- Click on Bulk Edit
- Under Can Exceed, Click on the boxes next to each item
- Click on Save
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- Gradebook Settings: Calculation Options
- Gradebook Settings: Student Display Options
- Quick Eval (All Courses)
- Grade Item Exemptions
- Printing/Saving Grades with Excel
- Dropping Ungraded Items
- Grade Item Statistics
- Grading and Adding Feedback for Multiple Students at One Time
- Using Bulk Edit on the Gradebook
- Reorder Grade Items