It is recommended that each video not exceed 6-9 minutes in length. When possible, chunk material into smaller topics that students can easily watch on the go or in short segments. See the articles below for some recommendations on video lengths.
SPC now has PANOPTO Video Hosting and Creation Platform. Please consider hosting your Academic Content on PANOPTO instead of a YouTube channel for more security. Reach out to email@example.com for information on accessing your Panopto Account.
After uploading your videos, please make sure that they are captioned so that they are accessible to all. YouTube does auto-caption but often requires edits to be made by the user. Captioning YouTube Videos- Make your Videos Accessible to ALL
Uploading a Video to YouTube:
- Go to https://www.youtube.com
- Click on Sign In
- Click on the Video Camera in the top right
- Click Upload Video.
- Upload Your File(s)
- Click the Upload Arrow to select files from your computer OR
- Click on
- Change Public to Unlisted
- A processing page will appear. Depending on your large your video is, it may take several minutes to finish processing the upload. You can leave this page while the video processes.
Editing a Video while it Processes
There are several options for editing your video while it completes it processing. Edits can also be done after the video is uploaded in the event changes are needed.
- Name - Enter a descriptive name for your video
- Description - Enter a description for your video
- Tags - Enter tags or search words for your video to make it easy to locate
- Listing - Change Public to Unlisted so that only those you share the link with have access to the video. Leaving the listing as Public will allow it to be found by anyone searching YouTube
- Add to Playlist - Add the video to an existing playlist or create a new playlist from this dropdown to better organize your videos
- Add More Videos - Click to upload additional videos
- Link - this will be the link to your video once it has completed processing and has been published (see the step below)
- Publish - Click to save and publish your changes. When the video finishes processes, it will be made available on your Channel.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- Captioning YouTube Videos - Make your Videos Accessible
- Adding your YouTube Embedded Code into MyCourses
- Insert a YouTube Video into MyCourses
- Deleting a YouTube Playlist
- Editing an Existing Video
- Creating a YouTube Playlist
- Editing a YouTube Playlist
- Uploading a Video to YouTube
- Accessing YouTube if you have a YouTube Account
- Creating a YouTube Account