This guide reviews how the Turnitin settings you choose affect the reports and scores generated. Turnitin can be enabled for any dropbox.
For instructions on how to add Turnitin to a dropbox, review this guide on Enabling Turnitin on a New Dropbox
When enabling Turnitin you will get to a section where you can either save as is, or configure optional Turnitin settings by clicking More Options in Turnitin:
Explanation of Optional Turnitin Settings:
- Submission Settings
- Submit Paper to standard paper repository: This is the default setting and should be used for summative assignment submissions (final drafts and finished products).
- Do not store submitted paper: Select this option from the dropdown menu for formative assignment submissions such as drafts that will be re-submitted to the same dropbox.
- Allow submissions of any file type: This defaults to not checked. Check this if you would like students to be able to submit uncommon file types.
- Enable grammar checking: This will generate a grammar report for the student. If you check this, it will then ask you to determine level of education and other settings.
- Attach a rubric: This setting only provides generic rubrics for selection, this is not where you would add a rubric made by yourself or peers at SPC.
- Compare Against
- Compare submitted papers against specific sources. This defaults to comparing against all source types. You can deselect any of the three to meet the needs of your assignment.
- Similarity Report
- Generate reports immediately - (resubmissions are not allowed): Similarity Reports for all submissions will be generated immediately
- Generate reports immediately - (resubmissions are allowed until due date): Students can see reports and resubmit before evaluation
- Allow students to view Similarity Reports - Allows you to decide whether to allow students to view their Similarity Report
- Exclude bibliographic materials - Allows you to decide to include a bibliography, work sited, references from being checked when running the report
- Exclude quoted materials - Allows you to decide whether to include or exclude quoted material
- Exclude small sources - Allows you to choose to exclude matches that are not of significant length from being considered
- Additional Setting
- Check the Box to Save these settings for future use
- If you chose to change any of these settings, click the Submit button to save your selects
- You will be returned to the Turnitin Integration screen
- Click Save to update any changes
Recommendations and Things to Consider
Additional Turnitin Resources: