This quick guide describes adding a bonus item and not putting it into a category. With this scenario, there are a number of settings that must be set correctly. If the settings are correct, the bonus item can skew the Final Calculated Grade.
The information in this guide was adopted from "Demystifying the Final Calculated Grade" which is attached the button of this guide as a PDF for your further review.
Bonus Point Information:
If you decide to add a bonus item into a weighted gradebook, it is very important that you pay attention to the weight of the bonus item. The number of points for the bonus item will not affect the final calculated grade. It is the weight that will affect it. For example, if you weight the bonus item as 5%, then a student getting a 100% on the bonus item will have 5 points extra points added to their final grade. You need to think carefully about how many extra credit points you want the students to get when not placing the bonus item outside a category.
Step-by-Step Part 1: Add a Bonus Grade Item
- Click on Grades on the Navbar
- Click on New
- Click on Item
- Click on Numeric
- Enter a Name for the Grade Item
- Enter the Maximum Points
- Check the Can Exceed Box
- Check the Bonus Box
- Enter the Weight
- Click on Save and Close (You will see a star next to the item, indicating it is a bonus item )
- Assigning extra credit or bonus items can make the Final Grade for some go above 100%. Therefore, it is important to complete the next step.
Step-by-Step Part 2: Check Can Exceed
- Check the box next to Current Overall Grade
- Check the box next to Grade to Submit to MySPC
- Click on Bulk Edit
- Under Can Exceed, Click on the boxes next to each item
- Click on Save
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- Gradebook Settings: Calculation Options
- Gradebook Settings: Student Display Options
- Quick Eval (All Courses)
- Grade Item Exemptions
- Printing/Saving Grades with Excel
- Dropping Ungraded Items
- Grade Item Statistics
- Grading and Adding Feedback for Multiple Students at One Time
- Using Bulk Edit on the Gradebook
- Reorder Grade Items