This quick guide describes adding a bonus item to a weighted category where the weights of the grade items are distributed by points. This means that you have different point values for individual grade items within a category. With this scenario, there are a number of settings that must be set correctly.
Information in this guide was adopted from "Demystifying the Final Calculated Grade" which is attached at the bottom of this guide as a PDF for your further review.
Bonus Points Information:The number of points for each bonus item in a weighted gradebook does not matter because the item is determined by the weight of the individual items and weight of the category. For example, if you weight a bonus item as 10% and the overall weight of the category is 20%, the maximum possible extra credit points a student can receive will be 10% (grade item) x 20% (category weight) which are 2 bonus points. If you increased the weight of the bonus item to 20%, then the maximum extra credit points would be 20% (grade item) x 20% (category weight). Bonus points are added to the numerator of the Final Calculated Grade. It is very important to keep these two factors in mind when thinking about how many bonus points you wish to give your students.
Step-by-Step Part 1: Adding a Bonus Item to a Category
- Click on Grades on the Navbar
- Click on New
- Click on Item
- Click on Numeric
- Enter a Name for the Grade Item
- Click on the drop-down under Category
- Click on the Category where you would like the bonus item
- Enter the Maximum Points
- Check the Can Exceed Box
- Check the Bonus Box
- You will see the area to add a weight is greyed out. This is due to this item belonging to a category that is set to distribute weights by points across all items in the category. Please note that if no grade items within this category have been graded, the weight for the bonus item will be zero.
- Click on Save and Close (You will see a star next to the item, indicating it is a bonus item )
- IMPORTANT: Complete all steps in Part Two or this bonus item will not calculate correctly.
Step-by-Step Part 2: Check Can Exceed on Grade Items
- From the list of grade items, check the box next to the Category Name where you have added the bonus item
- Check the box next to Current Overall Grade
- Check the box next to Grade to Submit to MySPC
- Click on Bulk Edit
- Under Can Exceed, Click on the boxes next to each item
- Click on Save
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- Gradebook Settings: Calculation Options
- Gradebook Settings: Student Display Options
- Quick Eval (All Courses)
- Grade Item Exemptions
- Printing/Saving Grades with Excel
- Dropping Ungraded Items
- Grade Item Statistics
- Grading and Adding Feedback for Multiple Students at One Time
- Using Bulk Edit on the Gradebook
- Reorder Grade Items