Within a weighted gradebook, The Max. Points you assign to individual grade items can be any value. Their contribution towards their category and the final grade is the percentage value (weight) assigned to them. Each individual grade item within a category has its own individual weight. Therefore, grade items in a category should combine to a weight of 100%.
Creating a grade item does NOT also create an associated learning activity (quizzes, dropboxes, or discussions). You can associate existing learning activities to a grade item, but it is best to create grade items for quizzes, dropboxes or discussions when you create or edit those activities under submission review.
- Click on Grades on the Navbar
- Click on New
- Click on Item
- Click on Numeric
- Type in a Name for the Grade Item
- Click on the drop-down arrow under category
- Depending on how that grade category is set up, you may be required to enter points AND weight of this item, or, you may only need to enter the points value and the weight is assigned by the category.
- Type in the Maximum Points for the Grade Item
- Click on Save and Close
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- Gradebook Settings: Calculation Options
- Gradebook Settings: Student Display Options
- Quick Eval (All Courses)
- Grade Item Exemptions
- Printing/Saving Grades with Excel
- Dropping Ungraded Items
- Grade Item Statistics
- Grading and Adding Feedback for Multiple Students at One Time
- Using Bulk Edit on the Gradebook
- Reorder Grade Items