Use this guide to begin using Simple Syllabus in your courses.
What courses require me to use Simple Syllabus?
- Currently all GenEd Core courses & courses using Respondus LockDown Browser
- Beginning Fall 2024 All courses will need to use it
What is Simple Syllabus for and why is it required?
- The state of Florida Legislature now requires that all GenEd Core courses have the Syllabus up 45 days prior to the course starting.
- To standardize the syllabus experience across all SPC classes in an effort to reduce student confusion.
What is great about using the Simple Syllabus?
- Students can easily find course information inside it because there is consistency in how the information is presented to them, i.e. the same items are located in the same places.
- As an instructor:
- You can copy your Simple Syllabus across multiple courses.
- You can also import components from other syllabi across the college. The import process will be valuable once Course Coordinators have access to Simple Syllabi for Standard Courses.
- Course Descriptions and Course Objectives sync over from the Approved Course Outline in META.
- When using Simple Syllabus, only the Simple Syllabus can be open in the course, without the rest of the course being ready/completely set up. When you copy over your course content, the Simple Syllabus will remain intact.
- If you type a textbook title in, the remaining contents will autofill.
- If your class is not considered a First Day course, you can toggle that area component to "Invisible".
- Syllabus formatting remains consistent and can be adjusted for content copied in from an outside source. Be sure not to copy content directly from a Microsoft Word document. Instead save the file as an .rtf file inside Word, or move to a Notepad file.
- When an update is made to the main template, it will update through all SPC without affecting the other components in your Simple Syllabi.
- You can place a video inside vs just your picture it to Welcome students to your course.
- The dates for the course sync from PeopleSoft automatically, however since Discussions do not have a due date, they all come in at the bottom of the list. You have the option to manually enter due dates rather than syncing from MyCourses if the way the dates come in is not satisfactory to you.
- The Assignments schedule syncs over from the Brightspace calendar, a.k.a. MyCourses/D2L
- If everything students need to know is not listed somewhere inside the Simple Syllabus, you can add a New Component at the bottom.
- When you are done setting it up and click Save and Submit you will get Confetti!
What other information is available to guide me in setting up Simple Syllabus?
- Click here to learn: How to Edit your Simple Syllabus from the Nav Bar in MyCourses
- Click here to learn: How to Enable or Disable Visibility of the Simple Syllabus on the Nav Bar in MyCourses
- Click here to learn: How to Reuse and Edit Your Simple Syllabus from Another Section or Term in MyCourses
- Click here to view FAQ's about Simple Syllabus
When pasting text from Word to Simple Syllabus, be cautious, the prior formatting may disrupt editing privileges.
Steps to avoid this:
1. Perform a 'Save As' on the Word document | saving it as a .RTF file | then paste the content into Simple Syllabus.
2. Paste the content into a basic text editor like Notepad for Windows or TextEdit for Mac OS | then copy it into Simple Syllabus | then use the Simple Syllabus Clear Formatting button to edit text.
NOTE: The questions featured on this page will undergo periodic updates based on the analysis of site usage data.
Have Questions? Contact the MyCourses Support Team by email at MyCourses4Faculty@spcollege.edu or by phone at 727-341-3500 (Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. EST).
After-hours or weekend assistance? Contact the SPC Helpdesk at 727-791-2795 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to Schedule a One-on-One or Group Session on MyCourses or other instructional technology issues or opportunities? Complete the Schedule Instructional Support form and one of our team members will be in contact during regular business hours.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- Simple Syllabus FAQ's
- Get Started Using Simple Syllabus
- Simple Syllabus: Enable or Disable Visibility on the MyCourses Navigation Bar
- Reuse and Edit Your Simple Syllabus from Another Section or Term
- Edit Your Simple Syllabus from the Navbar
- Replace an Existing Syllabus in your Syllabus Area
- Add Your syllabus to Another Module
- Download and Update an Existing Syllabus
- Upload Your Syllabus to the Syllabus Area
- Adding and Editing a Standard Syllabus in Your Course (Not a Simple Syllabus)